Sat, 29 Oct|
Dunsford Old School
Legends from Lecale's Spectacular Coast
A walk of the Sheepland cliffs to mark Hallowe'en
Time & Location
29 Oct 2022, 11:00 – 15:00
Dunsford Old School, 1 Tollumgrange Rd, Ardglass, Downpatrick BT30 7SR, UK
About The Event
Get off the beaten track and explore the myths of Sheepland, a landscape rich in folklore and associations with Saint Patrick. Part of the Ballyhornan Coastal Path, this is a guided scenic clifftop walk. You will learn about the areas rich folklore; hear tales of Vikings, shipwreck and smuggling.
Along the way we will visit a well blessed by Saint Patrick. This ancient spring has its own folklore and traditions. Depending on the tide, we may have the opportunity to walk on the mystical feature known as Saint Patrick's Road! The legend goes that this was to take him to the Isle of Man.
Included in the tour is a visit to oldest stone statue of the Madonna and Child. It also includes the tale of how some of the largest collection of the oldest stained glass ever was found in Ireland. The stunning cliffs with offer views as far as Scotland and the Isle of Man. You will also have a loan of a traditional wooden walking pole.
The lunch will be a picnic provided by Ciara from Margaret's Cottage. It will include a mix of sandwiches, fruit and drinks. In addition to this Ciara will be making her delicious Millionaire's Shortbread.
Your wellbeing, health and safety
To reduce the risk to participants there will be a limit of 15 attendees on this walk.
In order to comply with the current restrictions on public gatherings in public spaces the following measures will be in place.
- A face mask/ covering is required for wearing in enclosed spaces. It is not required that you wear a face covering during the walk but you may do so if you wish.
- It will be required at all times that a safe distance of 2 metres.
- Hand sanitizer will be available during the walk as there will be a requirement to touch gates and stiles.
General health and safety for walking
- Sturdy waterproof walking boots are advised.
- A waterproof coat and long trousers should be worn due to the nature of vegetation on some of the trails.
- The total length of the walk will be just over 6 miles.
- Sunscreen, just in case!