Who were the Jordans?
Jordan's Castle is one of the six which stand in the small village of Ardglass on the County Down Coast. It was owned by the Jordan's who lived there until the end of the 1600s but who were they? One of the first references we have of the name Jordan is of a Jordan de Saukville. In the 13th Century the Jordan's controlled the pound in Ardglass. After a few peaceful centuries, the next we hear of them is in 1598 when their castle was beseiged by Hugh O'Neill, the Earl of Tyron